IF YOU LIVE IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING SITUATIONS:
- In a shelter
- In a motel or campground due to the lack of an alternative adequate accommodation
- In a car, park, abandoned building, or bus or train station
- Doubled up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship You may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.
Children in foster care enroll or remain in the school of origin unless there is a determination that it is not in his or her best interest to attend the school of origin
The best interest determination must be based on all relevant factors, including: –Appropriateness of the current educational setting–Proximity to the school in which the child is enrolled at the time of placement ESSA REQUIREMENTS9
Eligible students have the right to:
• Receive a free, appropriate public education.
• Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
• Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
• Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently
housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is their preference.
* If the school district believes that the school selected is not in his/her best interest, then the district must
provide the student with a written explanation of its position and inform the student of his/her right to appeal
• Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if requested.
• Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to the students’ needs.
If you believe you may be eligible, contact the local liaison to find out
what services and supports may be available.